View Single Post
I feel bad about complaining. Believe me, I'm not one of the huge army out there of web whiners.

But I just have to get this off my chest. And more positively, I also hope it will help to lift the shade from my vision and allow me to see what it is I'm missing.

I discovered GTD a couple of months ago and regard it as a neat and helpful methodology.

I then did quite a lot of research around iPad apps for GTD (pretty much a whole weekend). Time and again I came across Omnifocus as "the" GTD app. In the end, despite the massive cost - relatively speaking - I bit the bullet and bought.

My conclusion after 3 or 4 weeks of use is that Omnifocus for iPad is totally underwhelming.

Let me say that it's pleasant to use and does indeed allow the user to create and classify projects and tasks in line with GTD. But I keep asking myself -- "Is that all there is?"

In relation to other productivity apps and software in general, and when price is taken into account, Omnifocus for iPad is extremely minimalistic -- to put it politely.

I constantly see the price quoted as $40. For some reason, I had to pay only half of that, but still consider it phenomenally overpriced. If I'd paid $40 I'd be spitting feathers.

Maybe it doesn't help that I don't use a Mac or iPhone. Maybe there are additional features in those apps that suddenly bring out the value in iPad Omnifocus, and would make the investment seem more worthwhile.

Like the great majority of people in business, I get issued with a Windows PC. Not ideal, but that is the current default. It astonishes me that (for the price) there is no Windows version I can sync with to help manage work tasks. Not even a full-blown Windows app, but some sort of basic interface through which I could at least view and enter tasks and then sync them to the iPad.

That's it really. Just disappointed at the very poor value for money. I have to acknowledge that many people seem to be totally in love with this software. There are a ridiculous number of gushing five star reviews on the App Store. Utterly misleading for a would-be purchaser. I would give it 3 stars for functionality as it does what it sets out to do -- without any frills. And 1 star for value.

I'll repeat -- it works perfectly well but unless I'm missing something, this app lacks anything like the sophistication and features that I would expect to get for $20 or $40.