View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
...Here is why hiding parent actions when all they have are completed children is not a good idea.

1. You loose the parent item.
2. Entire projects can become stalled because the user wasn't aware of all the parent items that need to be completed, because the parent items aren't showing up in the contexts.
Item 2 is not true any more. A few weeks back OF changed so that action groups with all children completed do not block subsequent tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
My suggestion:
1. Parent actions with completed children should show up in contexts.
2. Create a filter for parent actions with completed children, so I can see all parent actions that either need more children, or need to be completed.
I originally argued strenuously for your first suggestion in an extremely long thread back in July (I think). But I've come to appreciate the current behavior. The trouble with having the parent show up in contexts is that the new non-blocking action group behavior would no longer be appropriate. I think the current implementation strikes a reasonable compromise, certainly better than auto-completing the parent as some have suggested. Unfortunately, the current design is a little hard to intuit. I can imagine new users being very confused by the logic of when an action does or does not show up in context view or block a sequential project.

Others (BZ, I think) have suggested some formatting to indicate that an action is the last one in a group or project. I think that would be ideal. Right-clicking such a last action might bring up a menu with choices like Complete, Complete and Add Action to Parent, or Complete and Complete Parent. I also think that a filter in Planning view for items lacking next actions is needed. My scripts fills that gap for now, but it really should be baked in.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-09-15 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Grammar, or lack thereof