View Single Post
We've been investigating what it would take to offer a server for customers to use to sync their OmniFocus data. (This would be an additional hosting option - none of the existing options would be going away!)

We've done some initial research, set a test server up, and would now like to start collecting data that will help us determine if this is something we can feasibly do long term. Specifically, we need to figure out what kind of resources (in terms of server hardware and data traffic) this would require.

If you'd be interested in such a service and are willing to store your OmniFocus sync database on our server, we'd appreciate it if you could head over to http://www.omnigroup.com/sync/ and let us know your email address.

We plan to start sending out invites early next week, in the order that folks sign up. We'll be inviting folks gradually, with a goal of getting as many folks on the server as possible while maintaining acceptable performance.

Answers to a couple of questions I expect will be fairly common follow. Please post or email us if you have more questions!

What's this cost?
Syncing OmniFocus through our sync server is free.

Is this thing going to blow up and eat my data?
We'll make every effort to prevent that from happening, but it is a possibility. That said, if something does happen, nobody knows more about how OmniFocus sync works than the folks that run this server. :-)

Will you guys look at my data?
We value your privacy. We'll only look at a customer's OmniFocus data when it's absolutely necessary to solve a problem, and we'll get their permission before doing so if possible. (If someone is misusing the server, that's a different matter.)

Can I sync OmniGraffle or OmniGraphSketcher for iPad using this server?
Not at this time, but if that's something you'd be interested in, please let us know.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-12-02 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Updated to note that syncing is and will remain free