View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
I agree that it would be nice to have an optional Context column in Context view. I just don't agree that that points to a fundamental flaw in the overall design. If you had only one view, what would that view show? When I look at the two views and try to imagine combining them into one, that seems to me to produce a lot of complexity, and inevitably lose some functionality.

Gardener
I've suggested an alternative elsewhere, but you're right that that alone doesn't point to a fundamental flaw. What points to that (at least until I hear the explanation I keep asking for) is the lack of a whole set of view options in each mode, that all restrict my ability to set up perspectives to show what I want to show. The restrictions exist, the explanation of why, doesn't!

If I'd been designing this, I'd have had one view capable of showing everything, filtered and sorted by, umm, everything, and would then have built in perspectives that set the view up to reflect the various modes. Instead we have the modes hard coded, with perspectives remaining limited by the design choices made when creating those modes.

Think of it this way - you could give someone a wardrobe containing all colours, and then help them choose the best clothes for red or green days (that'd be my approach), or you could give them a red wardrobe and a green wardrobe, and tell them that if they need anything else they can only mix and match one item! The second approach lets them deal with red and green days just as effectively as the first, but restricts them badly on yellow days.

Red and green wardrobes may be fine, so long as the benefits and the reasoning behind the restrictions are clearly explained to the user.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-09-08 at 03:20 AM..