View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainInside View Post
I have no idea how it relates to OmniFocus
Geektool is a utility that places information on your desktop. The script that Robtrew wrote queries the OF database (or in the case of ical you ical database), and then tells geektool to put that information on your desktop.

If you learn a little bit about geektool, you'll probably have a better understanding of what is possible based on Rob's script. The script itself pretty much just outputs a text list of dates and events, in the case of the ical script.

But using Geektool, you can then take this raw text output and format certain aspects of it.

For example, I made the color of my text white and changed the font size. Otherwise, I kept things quite simple. I just wanted a raw list of info on the desktop of one of my three monitors, so it was always there staring me in the face.

Other people create much fancier stuff.

Basically, you download geektool and install it. Then you create a widget thing to sit on your desktop. From there, you'll be given a preference dialog box. One option is to insert the content of a bash script, which will then output info to your desktop. Take the text of one of Rob's scripts, and past it into the part of the preferences. place the widget thing on your desktop. It should update. Then you'll see the info at has collected form its query.

I'm sorry if this isn't a super clear explanation. I'm not in a position to take screenshots, as I'm away from my Mac right now. But hopefully it will give you enough background that you can take it the rest of the way yourself using the link Rob provided.

KS