View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabasstin View Post
'RDJ' is this already working or is this just how it should possibly work?

I really need a simple way to add title and page at the beginning of the doc, that will change with the doc changes.

Is there a way to do this NOW (deadline tomorrow, document +75pages, way too confusing.)
Yes, there is a way to do this now. If you click the canvas pull-down under the window title bar, select the "Master 1" canvas. Anything you draw on this canvas should also appear on all of the remaining canvases.

You can use the text tool to write a title that will appear on each page. While editing text, you may also use Edit / Insert Variable / Page Number to insert a magic incantation that is replaced on the other canvases with the current page number.

(Incidentally, when you print the document, the master canvas itself is not printed as a separate page. Its function is just a "background" for the remaining canvases.)

Once you have made up your master canvas, you can visit the other canvases and see the results, for example, the actual page number. You may need to adjust the spacing of objects on these canvases and/or the master canvas to make everything look good.

At this point, any time you make a change to the master canvas, the change shows up on all of the remaining canvases of the document.

There are other types of "variables" that you can insert, for example, the document name and the canvas name. The nice thing about using the document name variable is that any time you rename the file, the "title" printed on each document would reflect the change.

These can be handy, however, keep in mind that the "document name" variable is the full name of your OmniGraffle document file -- including the ".graffle" suffix, if present. The only way I've found to get rid of that is to rename the file, using Finder, to drop that from the file's name.

Good luck...

-^-rdj-^-

P.S. I didn't receive the emailed notification from the Omnigroup forum server about your post until today -- which evidently is past your deadline! Wish I had known sooner. Hope it went well.