View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I just create a task like "From Alice, completed TPS reports" and give it a Waiting For context and perhaps a future start date. There's no other appropriate context for that task. My only action is to wait. If the start date rolls around and Alice hasn't gotten back to me, then I have a new task, "Remind Alice about TPS reports". (Or more often than not, I use the two-minute rule and fire off an email reminder. In that case I push the start date on the "From Alice" task off for a couple of days.) I catch Waiting For tasks with start dates in my morning tickler review. I catch other Waiting For tasks in my weekly review.
I don't get it how is the "From Alice" item even a task? Why would you want it distracting you until it's time to "Remind Alice..."? Seems to me that all you need is the "Remind Alice" task with an appropriate context (@Phone, @E-mail, @Agenda:Alice or whatever) and start date. It's easier just to delete it if it pops up after Alice has actually turned in the reports, than to go to the trouble of creating a separate waiting-for task (and context to hold it) beforehand. Your only actual task is to follow up if Alice is late; otherwise you can deal with the report when she hands it in on time just as you would any other inbox item.

I can imagine a scenario where I'm waiting indefinitely for something to happen, not taking action until then, and want to be reminded to check whether the trigger event has happened ("Has Stella finished her dissertation yet? If so, call her up and congratulate her"). But even there, "waiting" isn't an action, and the easiest way to deal with it is still to have a single task, with the appropriate context for the actual action, and reset the start date at whatever interval is appropriate.

I've never seen the utility of having everything I might be waiting for (but can't actually do anything about right now) in a separate list or context.