View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh26 View Post
Now, I don't want a context "Frank" because too many contexts (IMO) is the enemy of good GTD.
I agree that it's generally good practice to have as few contexts as possible, but people are the one exception I make to this rule, for just the reasons you described: the next time I talk with Frank might be in person, or on the phone, or over IM, or in email, and the medium used to communicate isn't actually relevant—what matters is that I'm now talking with Frank, and so I should talk to him about the things that I need to talk with him about.

I don't do this for casual contacts, mind you, but only for people with whom I have some sort of relationship that involves regular contact: co-workers, family, and so on. And I create them all as subcontexts of the context People so that they don't have to clutter up the rest of my context lists.

I make no claims that this approach is right for everyone, but I find it works well for me in my current situation. (It definitely works better than scattering all of my Frank actions across multiple contexts and then somehow trying to find them all without finding everything else I need to say to everyone else once I do get a chance to talk with him.)