View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
(These are the first apple scripts I ever wrote, so I think the script codes aren't very smart. Perhaps someone could help me to optimize these scripts?)
Clever and handy! I like them.

I've rewritten your "Task to iCal" script. It's gone from 126 lines of code to 50. :) I took out unnecessary intermediate variables, converted all the variables holding parts of the highlighted task into a record, and un-nested the redundant "if" statements in the "iCal" section.

I think a fair argument could be made that changing this
Code:
	set theNewTask to the name of theSelectedTask
	set theNewNote to the note of theSelectedTask
	set theNewDueDate to due date of theSelectedTask
	set hasFlag to flagged of theSelectedTask
into this
Code:
set newTask to {name:name, TaskNote:note, TaskDueDate:due date, IsFlagged:flagged} of theSelectedTask
isn't inherently an improvement, since it means that later on, this
Code:
if theNewDueDate is not missing value then
becomes
Code:
		if TaskDueDate of newTask is not missing value then
but the reason I did that was it makes it much easier to create a list of new tasks, so you could highlight multiple tasks in the context window, invoke the script, and have all of them transferred to iCal at once.

I even wrote the code to collect multiple tasks. I did not rewrite the second half of my replacement script to install the multiple tasks: it will only do the first one. Why? Because I've already frittered away more than a couple hours on this, and I'm supposed to be doing other stuff. I might get back to it; you might finish the job before I do and repost it, thus saving me the effort. :)

I didn't look at your second script, but I hope you can see various tricks and techniques from this script that you could apply there as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip new Task to iCal.zip (7.2 KB, 954 views)