View Single Post
That approach of having distinct transaction files has been used by OmniFocus since before v1.0 was released back in January. File -> Rebuild Database used to coalesce those transactions into a single file, improving performance somewhat and reducing the overall size of the database file bundle.

However, there's clearly been some changes in how things are handled in v1.1, presumably in support of syncing. The transaction files are now compressed, which seems to make sense for sending them over a limited-bandwidth network. Also, using File -> Rebuild Database doesn't seem to trigger the coalescing anymore, at least not that I can see. However, I believe it still rebuilds your SQLite index that's used for searching (~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2), and maybe it checks the integrity of your database (not sure).

On my system, I can see what looks like a transaction file for every change I make on my Mac inside the database bundle. When I sync with MobileMe, the transaction files remain. But when I then sync OmniFocus on my iPhone and then sync OmniFocus on my Mac again, all those transactions look like they get coalesced into the root file again. It seems logical that you wouldn't want them to be coalesced until OmniFocus is sure they've been synced to the remote system; hence the delay.

It's been working this way for several days now and my file size is still hovering around 320 KB, which is close to what it was before I switched to the 1.1 sneakypeak over two weeks ago.

Bottom line: if your file is consistently growing and continues to do so even after multiple successful syncs with your iPhone or remote Mac, I'd get in touch with the Support Ninjas just in case.

-Dennis