View Single Post
Quote:
1) I hate inspectors. On a small screen there's never anywhere convenient to put them, and depending on what you're doing, they're always in the way and have to be moved.

Much better IMHO would be an info pane, either as a side bar or a bottom bar. For the best of both worlds, how about making the inspector dock-able so I can fix it wherever I like.
In the OF beta's they made the inspector be somewhat context sensitive based on what your selection was in the sidebar or content area. However I still think a good model would be iWork's context sensitive toolbar - even though vertical space is more precious than horizontal (to be clear, I wouldn't want to see the inspector go away, this would be in addition to, not instead of - in a world of infinite engineering resources...)

Quote:
3) I can set icons for perspectives, but not for contexts? This is kind of worse still because most of the default icons available for perspectives would relate better to contexts, such as a laptop, a car, a home, a shopping bag etc.
At a minimum I'd like to see color labels for contexts and projects. Sure they could be abused, but I often find myself scanning through a list to find the one I want - and I don't necessarily want to alphabetize (and keep it sorted).

Quote:
5) Related to 2, if I click on a perspective in the toolbar, the button indents so I can see where I am, and the perspective name appears in the title bar - good so far. But if I then change the view, or even EVERYTHING, it still claims I'm in that perspective, which I'm not of course. I can even click the same (still indented) button and go back to the perspective, so it obviously knows I'm not already there. I'd almost class this as a bug rather than a feature request.
I agree this is confusing. Perspectives should have a visual bar somewhere like the old browsers did telling you you are at a secure site. As soon as you effectively change that perspective, it should revert.

You should also be able to have a toolbar button to be able to "revert" back to default.

-P