View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
Thanks for that, that works. But there're two big buts:

1) It doesn't remember what you've told it, even if you save as a perspective, so anything new added still goes at the top. It's a huge waste of time having to re-sort every time you add a new project.
Okay, if one wanted the sort operation applied to the entire sidebar all the time, that would be a good argument. But one of the nice things about the current implementation is that you don't have to sort the entire sidebar the same way! And, if you do like your entire sidebar sorted the same way, it's really pretty trivial to re-sort it (click in sidebar, cmd-A to select the entire thing, select entry from Edit->Sort menu). I spend much more effort thinking about the first action in a new project than I do keeping the sidebar tidy.

I find my need for the inspector varies depending on perspective, which shouldn't be too surprising as some of my perspectives have the extra columns and some don't. Some of the perspectives are used for tinkering with the actions (inbox processing, reviews), and some are mostly for keeping track of progress. I'm usually working on a Macbook, and often have persistent growl notifications along the right hand side of the screen (*) so space is definitely at a premium and I'll often turn off the inspector until I need it. It might be a small improvement if perspective snapshots captured whether the inspector was present, but I haven't really thought that through yet.

(*) If you turn on the persistent notifications in growl, as things become available/due/overdue you'll get a little sticky on your screen, and clicking on the OmniFocus folder icon in the notification will take you to a new OF window and the action in question. I find this very handy, as much of the stuff that pops up on my screen first thing in the morning is stuff that can be knocked off without referring to the notes for an action, and once I've cleared off the screen, I'm awake enough so I can get to work on more challenging matters.