View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxldot View Post
@kingsinger: I like the idea (I prefer the new instances at the top as well). It's now a compile-time option in the most recent version (download it from the http://pxldot.com/projects, look near the top of the script).

@whpalmer: I may do the Growl thing in the future. Two things for the dropped folder. Out of sight, out of mind, so I think Dropped folders, which aren't often seen, makes it easier to forget about the projects and for the system to fall into disrepair. I also think it's non-canonical in OmniFocus: Dropped status indicates that you had initially planned to do it, and decided against it. On Hold means that you plan on doing it at some point. I simply think the nature of templates makes them better suited as On Hold. No need to get too theoretical, I suppose, but that's my opinion :)
But the whole point of having a template script is to create new projects. Your script finds the templates and presents a list of them to you. So I don't need to see those in the project sidebar. The only time I use them is when I need to create a particular project that relates to one of the templates I've created (e.g., New Matter--W/Fee Deposit). The rest of the time, if these template projects are in an active folder, they're just irrelevant noise that's getting mixed in with the signal of the projects that are truly active. If I have contexts assigned to certain tasks in the template, they get intermingled in with the real tasks (this is particularly a problem if you are filtering on remaining tasks, which a I do a fair amount, because a lot of my projects don't always flow in perfect sequential order, so I need to see the entire overview to check things off).

Obviously, "Dropped" has a certain meaning within OF, as it relates to GTD. On the other and, if we simply abstract it out to what it does, "Dropped" simply means don't show these items unless I explicitly filter on everything or on "Dropped."

I agree that ideally templates would live in their own dedicate space in OF separate from the present filtering taxonomy. But at least for me, as things stand, dropped seems like the most logical place to keep the templates (especially in the context of your script, which does such a nice job presenting all the available templates to the user when the script is actuated).

Looking forward to test driving your updated version of the scripts. Thanks for all your great work.

KS