View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Iomniimno,

I believe you're mostly suggesting tags.
Nope, I'm suggesting multiple contexts per task.

Quote:
But your example is really farcical; "walk fido at park" is really a task you can do at home.
True but, interrestingly, completely beside the point :)

Quote:
The task itself is to TAKE the dog to the park and to exercise him.
Sure! For the sake of discussion, lets say that my task description is ridiculous and that yours is perfectly accurate and proper (and for the sake of discussion, I won't get into task atomicity because you might start crying); in what context would you put your task?

Quote:
An example of "Hey, I'm at the park, what can I do here? Walk the dog? DANG... no dog" is pretty laughable.
That's one of the advertized features and it is explicitly exposed in the onsite tutorials. That's why you can filter by contexts and that's why the feature is integrated with the GPS on the iPhone. If you're close to the grocery store, remember to pick up some milk! If you're online on your mac, read about biomimicry! If you're at the Park, walk your dog...oh, no wait, no dog (to make it really clear to you, I'm trying to expose that more than one piece of relevant context is missing for you to perform your task). The proximity feature is actually a good idea but life is contextually complex (multi faceted).

Quote:
One would hope humans would have a little more ability than that.

"Darn, I have to crap, but I'm not on the toilet... WHAT DO I DO?!"

:-P
No offence but I think you thoroughly missed the point :).

The example was chosen for it's simplicity. Pick whichever other example YOU deem desirable and apply the same reasoning (one requiring phoning one of your friends for which you have a context named when phone is also a context...which one do I choose, Phone or Fred? Both!)

Let me give you a less "laughable" example:

**Setup safe on garage wall with Fred's help**

This needs to happen at your house, in the garage, and you need Fred's help to lift the safe because it's too heavy.

To simplify your contexts are:

- Garage
- Fred
- Waiting

Which context do you pick?

*Garage* because it needs to happen in your garage?
*Fred* because you need Fred?
*Waiting* because you already notified Fred that you needed his help and because you are now "waiting" for him to decide to come and help you?

The reality is that embedding your task into each context, in isolation, is useful in it's own respect with regards to the task. Embedding the task into all of these contexts, on the other hand, is much more expressive because you are crossing *these* 3 facets for which context labels are made explicit in your system. There are potentially N such contexts that you might care about, but right now, in OmniFocus, you can only pick one.

omniinmo

Last edited by omniinmo; 2009-07-31 at 08:05 PM..