View Single Post
Finally having a chance to "live" with 1.8, and I'm in the camp of those who don't like the change to have projects and subprojects show up in Contexts.

Here are the deal-breakers I'm hitting:

* I suddenly have 48 items in my "No Contexts" list. None of those items are actually actionable items without contexts; they're al projects or subprojects. For example, my "Repair hole in ceiling" shows up there, even though it has an action assigned to it.

* Even hiding the *list* of projects isn't enough because I still see the No Contexts list with "48" next to it, making me feel I should be doing something there.

* Assigning a "default context" makes no sense to me because I don't want my actions to get that default context if I forget to assign on; I want *those* items to show up in No Contexts so I can act on them properly by assigning a context.

* Sub-groups (action groups) show up in No Contexts, but it's not because they don't have a "proper context": I can't even *assign them a context* in Planning mode. I can only assign a "default context" via the inspector, for actions within that action group. See above about default contexts.

By way of example, I have a project to "Move to HDTV". It looks something like this:

* Move to HDTV (parallel)
** Make a list of all the stuff I need to buy to do high-dev TV (parallel)
*** HDTV
*** Blu-Ray Player
*** HD Receiver
*** etc.

Each item may be in different contexts, or may have additional sub-groups

In Context mode I see

No Context:
* Make a list of all the stuff I need to buy to do high-dev TV (parallel)
* Move to HDTV

Research
* HD Receiver

Amazon
* HD Receiver

Errands > Costco
* Blu-Ray Player

I don't understand why those two items are in my No Context list. I can't do anything with them and they're effectively blocked until I deal with the other items.

Switching to "Available" solves the "display" issue, but still has my "No Context" count higher than it should be, since they aren't items that *have* a context!

OF, please comment on this thread. It's very important!