View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
I love iCloud and the fact that my Keynote presentations are on all my devices, all the time. It's real handy for that. The minute that I step away from anything Apple though, it's all gone.
The great thing about storing data in the cloud is that you can access it from all your devices. But each specific, individual cloud is ephemeral: it can easily change in an incompatible way or disappear altogether as businesses are acquired (or fail) or their business models change.

The cloud services I can rely on being around for the long haul are those which are based on open protocols, such as HTTP/WebDAV, CalDAV, IMAP, and SFTP. Because these protocols are open, I know that even if my current provider decides to stop hosting my data I can find another provider to host it instead, or can even host my data myself.

That's why the syncing solutions we've built for OmniFocus and OmniPlan and our Omni Sync Server are based on the open WebDAV standard, and not proprietary solutions. That standard is also the basis for the syncing solution we're now building for OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, and OmniGraphSketcher: I want our customers to have a choice of hosting providers, not to be tied to a single ephemeral cloud solution.