View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed in depth already, but I don't find location based contexts very useful. Location based actions would be a lot more useful to me.

Much of the GTD literature I've read cautions against getting too granular in your contexts, because it leads to an unmanageably long list of contexts.
I think a piece of the OmniFocus structure you're overlooking here is the ability to "nest" contexts... It is quite simple to take the list of locations you give as an example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
I don't want to have to create a context for each place I might stop on an errands run (i.e., Fred Meyer, Target, Bagel Deli, Zoka Espresso, U-Village, etc.). But I might like to assign a location to each of those places.
...and place them under your "Out and About Errands" context. That way, if a specific task has a specific, physical location, and it would be useful to you to have your iPhone take that location into account, then it would be worthwhile assigning that location it's own "location aware" context. Any non-location specific tasks would just go under the "top-level" context, without a specified location.

In my opinion, the alternative you suggest (assigning locations to individual tasks) would, in the end, create more work, as you would always end up "reinventing" the wheel any time you generated a task that needed that location. If you're going to this place often enough for the location awareness to be of use, you might as well create a specific context so that, even when you're entering tasks on your desktop, you can associate a useful location with the task.

Conversely, if the task is a "one-off", I would suggest that it's really not an appropriate one to use location awareness (cool as it can be to have OF-iPhone tell you how close you are to a particular task).

Just my $0.02...

J