View Single Post
When OF for the iphone came out, I was stoked, but even within the trial period of using the desktop software, I could not get it to sync reliably/quickly. Eventually, I gave up on it and tried many of the other iphone to-do app's (RTM, Things, etc).

I continued to try OF whenever updates came out, and with the latest one for the iphone the sync feature worked good enough. Occasionally it would hang, but it was enough to get me to purchase the desktop software.

After watching the Don MacAllister(sp) video - which should be directly linked to from OF web page!! - I really fell in love with this software and am in 90% heaven. The only flaw - MobileMe syncing. With everything else about OF working great, I got to the point of being nervous about tapping that sync button.

So I bit the bullet and set up my own webdav server using dyndns on my home computer to see if it was better. And holy cow, was it ever! I had used RTM & Toodledo as my "holy grail" of sync speed, and now I have that with OF. My iphone has never taken longer than 10 seconds to sync, be it on my home network nor out in the world over 3G speeds.

Finally, my point:
I wonder if it isn't viable for Omni Group to offer webdav sync services to OF users. It might eliminate the complaints about sync problems for many users.

Obviously, I have a "server" all to myself so speed is super-great, but I bet a lot of people would be willing to sign up to test a service that might provide something as easy to set up as MobileMe but as fast as a web-based to-do application sync.

It might even be viable as an optional service for those willing to spend a few extra bucks a month, or similar to RTM's $25 yearly fee. This might cover the costs of server maintenance.

I don't know - I just find this program combination (desktop & iphone) really outstanding, and wanted to share my frustrations and possible solutions. I consider myself pretty average, and figured there might be others out there experiencing the same frustrations I did...