View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
That's available now, to reset the initial perspective settings. Open the Perspective window and click on the gear icon at the bottom of the window.
Thanks. I had thought I'd seen that option before, but I couldn't find it when I went looking for it, so I figured I'd imagined it.

Regardless, it would seem that the availability of this option would obviate the need to enforce the default perspective names.

Quote:
That's about the only change that would not make sense-the other options to restore focus, open in a new window, etc. still have value and should be user-defined. There's also value in changing a context perspective (such as 'Completed') to a project perspective should the user not want to see that perspective on the iPhone.
Granted that was an extreme (and unlikely) example, but in more practical terms, I've redefined my "Due" perspective to show tasks that are on my "hotlist" (due or flagged, basically). It's a minor nit, but in that sense the "Due" name isn't really appropriate since it includes tasks that aren't specifically "due" in the traditional sense of the word. Similarly, I long ago re-defined the "Flagged" perspective into something completely different, as I have no need for a perspective that simply shows all flagged tasks. When the name reverted back to "Flagged" it actually threw me for a loop as it took me a while to remember that the new perspective had originally been the default "Flagged" one.

In fact, to me that's a far more confusing result than simply dealing with changing languages, as it results in "missing" perspectives for those who had heavily customized the default ones.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want to see the default perspectives lose their customizability -- I was merely playing devil's advocate since it seems strange to allow for full customization of the built-in perspectives without the ability to actually rename them to something more appropriate. Further, I can see this being a problem for anybody upgrading from 1.7->1.8 who has customized the default perspectives in any significant way, since the reverted default names may have no correlation whatsoever to how the perspectives have been reconfigured.