View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlOrange View Post
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.
I could have sworn Command-' was the key combo for editing notes all along; or at least that's the shortcut that was displayed to the right of the menu option.

So it's not like Enter was the shortcut, but rather a shortcut for editing notes. :)

To be honest, I didn't even know the Enter key could be used to edit notes. I'd always used Command-'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.

From reading the release notes, I got the impression that mention of the Escape key was not directly related to the Enter key, but rather that the use of Escape might be "phased out" in a future release. So OG is providing a hidden default to allow us to get used to the change ahead of time.

Incidentally, one nice side-effect of using that new default to turn off exiting from edit mode with Escape is that now the Escape key can be used for word auto-completion (standard for most OS X text views). Formerly, you had to resort to using F5.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-14 at 11:58 AM..