View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd28cat View Post
CC Things allows me to mark an action as scheduled and then enter when its scheduled for. All scheduled items drop off the list when reviewing because they are not actionable until the time they are scheduled for, similar to On Hold. I would like to see a similar item in OF.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is essentially what OmniFocus does when you set a future start date on an item (actions or projects). The item is put into the pending state (similar to "on hold" except that the state is not indefinite), it can be hidden from view by setting your status filter to "available", and when the start date arrives the item automatically becomes available.

To view all pending projects, switch to planning mode and set your Project Filter in the view bar to "Pending".

To view individual actions in a pending state, switch to context mode and set your Grouping and Sorting filters to "Start". Then collapse the sections that you're not interested in (e.g. items starting in the past or that start any time).

The only thing that's missing is a button to add the action to iCal. But it sounds like Brian's script does that quite well. Add the script to your toolbar, and you're all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd28cat View Post
Lets say i have a simple project titled get the house painted. And the actions were....

1 Call painter and schedule meeting time.
2 Meet the painter at the house(during scheduled time)
3 Wait for painters bid
4 Review bid and decide if im going to use the painter
5 Call the painter and schedule to to have it painted...
etc.....

So using the current logic of OF, I would put #2 on the calendar and not as an action in OF. I want it in both because I need to see on the calendar that I have an appointment to meet the painter at a certain time and I want it in OF because if 5 years from now I am having the house painted again and I want to go back and review the project from last time, i am going to want to see everything that the project involved.
Why wouldn't you put it in OF as well? That's exactly what I would do in this situation.

The mechanical details of the appointment itself would go in iCal (start time, end time, alarm, location, maybe a URL to my related OmniFocus project). These are things that are probably not important to remember years from now, so I don't need to save them. But if I do want to save them, I might jot them down in the note field of my OmniFocus action.

All other relevant info about the meeting would go in my corresponding OF action (details about the contractor, a list of topics I want to cover, a link to the contractor's vcard in Address Book, and maybe some notes about the meeting's outcome for future reference).

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-10-21 at 03:47 PM..