View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrown00
For these kind of things, I just use start dates and set the task to repeat daily...then I call the task "practice playing the triangle daily"...

Perhaps the GTD experts can remind us, but isn't there something in GTD cannon about not pretending that something is part of the 'hard' landscape unless it actually is.
This is one of the areas where I struggle to find the right system: actions that I want to complete on a regular basis but that don't have to happen on a particular day.

I have no trouble with items that have to happen on a particular day, like "Call Dad and wish him a happy father's day". These go on my calendar. (I use iCal To-dos for these.)

But some items don't really fit on the hard landscape of the calendar and also aren't exactly actions to be done based on the "big four" (context, time available, energy available, and priority). Examples of these for me are Daily Reviews, Weekly Reviews, and Exercising. I'm currently treating these as appointments with myself. I block out time on my calendar and regularly review how well I'm doing at keeping these appointments. Occasionally I have to "no-show" for an appointment with myself, but as long as I'm doing that for a consciously chosen reason that is in line with my personal priorities, then I refuse to feel guilty about it.

I tried putting items like this on my next actions lists, and found that they somehow induced more guilt there. Perhaps because I saw them and skipped over them multiple times in a day, rather than consciously choosing to skip them once.

That said, I think that OF handles lowfatsourcreme's request (or it will when repeating actions are debugged). An action set to "Repeat every 1 day after the completion date" when just sit in the action list. When it's checked-off it will disappear until the next day, when it shows up again.