View Single Post
Hi, I am new to OF, moving over from Things. i just installed the software yesterday so I am very caught up in the learning curve but can already tell I'm going to love it! I have a few questions. Actually I had a ton of questions but I wound up figuring most of them out once I started typing up the questions and messing around with OF more:-)

Here is a basic overview of my setup:

I manage multiple properties spread out over different locations. Call them property a, b and c. I have many projects going on at each property as well as other projects at work, home, etc...

I have set up project folders for work and home. Within work I have subfolders for each property so I can quickly look at property specific projects and I have a few other sub folders to narrow down other aspects of my work.

I have contexts of
Errand
Home
Office
Property - (with subs for property a, b, and c. {for things I can only do while at a certain property})
Contact - (with subs of all the people i regularly communicate with)
Waiting - (with subs of all the people i regularly communicate with marked 'on hold')

This way if i have an action such as email, call or talk to bob about x I make the context Contact:Bob. If i call and get voice mail (that never happens does it?) I leave a message and now I'm waiting for bob to call back, so i just make a note of time I called and change context to Waiting:Bob

OK- so a couple of questions

1. Lets say the manager of property a calls me just to give some info about something thats going on. Maybe he calls and says, my kid is sick with swine flu and i wont be back at work until monday. This is not an action but something I want to document, and something I want to remember on monday, to make sure manager a is indeed back at work. So I make an inbox entry of manager at home with sick kid, back to work on monday. Then what? Set a due date for monday? Can I set a reminder for monday but not a due date? Is there a better way to handle this?

2. I have a lot of project actions that require an email to be sent and I like to keep links to those emails within the project for reference as the project progresses. So if If I have an action of "need to contact Jane about x" I would go to mail and send Jane the email, then go to my sent items folder in mail and drag a copy into OF and drop it into the notes section of the action "need to contact jane about x". Then would change the context to waiting until I get a reply from Jane. Is there a better way that Im not seeing? Anyway to launch mail from within OF?

3. Once a project is complete is it archived forever? Say 2 years from now I want to go back and revisit the whole project. I want to see all the actions within it, all the notes, file links, email links, etc.. Surely I can do this? How?

tafn