View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallj View Post
When I'm focused on working within a larger project, I tend to work out of project mode, which I know isn't sticking with the GTD system...
I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. GTD is intended to help you be able to work on what is most important, and if what is most important is that you focus on a specific project today, you should do just that. To the extent the project is sequential, there isn't much point in looking at it in context mode when you don't have multiple choices for what to work on next. I see context mode as the natural place to work when you are going to work on several projects, possibly making only incremental progress on them. If on the other hand you have a project that is due today, you might as well work it looking at it in project mode.
Quote:
It would be nice to be able to show all the actions that have an on hold context (i.e. unactive actions) within project mode so I can see everything I'm waiting for within a large project.
I occasionally find it useful to go to context mode, select only my on hold contexts, hit the focus button (which will focus on all of the projects that have actions in the on hold contexts), then switch to project mode and tweak the view bar to suit (you'll want remaining actions). This will show you the current "sticking points" in the projects plus what comes after them. There is the slight flaw that a project where the current next action is not in fact one of your on hold actions will also show up, but you could always remove it from the selection and focus again if it really bothers you.