View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
My concern with Curt's propsal of a dedicated "Parents" bin is: would I still be able to see my parents intermingled with my actions or would I only be able to see them in a separate view? I want to be able to check off actions in a group and eventually see the action group itself appear in the same view (with my filter set to available). I *do not* want to have to click on a Parents bin to find the related parent, nor do I want to Command or Shift-click on both my Contexts bin and Parents bin and end up seeing seperate sections for parents and actions. Now that seems clumsy and inelegant to me.
Of course you would. You see your No Context items without clicking on No Context now, don't you?

By putting the Parents in a separate bin, a sibling to No Context and Contexts, you have complete control.
  • Want to see all the actions and parents (subject to view bar filters). Then don't select anything in the sidebar, just like in the current 1.8 sneaky peeks (r126204 for posterity).
  • Want to see actions that lack contexts? Then click No Context in side bar?
  • Want to see just actions and no parents? Then click No Context and command-click Contexts.
  • Want to see just actions that have contexts? Then click Contexts in the sidebar.
  • Want to see actions with contexts, plus all parents? Then click Parents and command-click Contexts.
  • Want to see just the action groups that are blocking your progress? Then set the view bar to show available actions and click the Parents bin in the sidebar. There's your list.

And all these combinations can be saved as perspectives. Greater power with simpler rules!

As far as I can tell, everything you want is there, Dennis. Please set me straight if I'm wrong.

I think there are only two problems not addressed by the Parents bin idea.

First, the Parents bin doesn't give us a way to view all action groups and projects that lack a default context. We didn't have that before the 1.8 sneaky peeks either, so I think it's a wash.

The tougher problem is for folks who don't like the new blocking behavior. That problem can't be addressed by tweaking the context view. It's a fundamental change in the definition of "Available". The auto-complete option makes the change less onerous, but it's still a different way of dealing with task dependencies. I personally think the new definition of Available is the right one, but the change will cause some pain for some folks. I hope that pain isn't too disruptive.

Curt