View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
So you are wanting a way to place an action on hold, without removing it's context and not using a start date?

When you say... putting an action on hold. What is the behavior you want to happen? Can you give a workflow example? Are you wanting to put the remaining project's actions on hold?
I have an example (as this is also one of my big gripes with OF). First, the setup:

* I use start dates for action items that I don't have to think about until that date. For example, I wanted to by tickets to see the Giants play, but tix weren't on sale until Feb. 6, 9am. So, "Buy Giants Tix" had a start date of "Feb 5, 9am". The item disappeared from my sight, and I didn't think about it until the day before, when it popped up in my list of items.

* I use On Hold for projects I plan on completing at some point, but not right now. I effect, it's my Someday/Maybe pile. I review it occasionally for items I want make active.

So, with that background, I often find that I have many single action list items that I need to put on hold, because they are no longer "important" enough for me to complete.

For example, I have a action of "Add ssl to my mail servers". It's something I want to do, but don't currently have the time to deal with it. So I'd like to select it and put it "on hold".

It's not something I want to pop up in a month or two as a reminder to take action on it, so putting a start date on it doesn't make sense for me.

I don't want to delete it, because I want it captured in my system; when I have time, and I'm reviewing my on hold items, I might pick this one to complete.

What I've been doing instead is turning it into an actual project and *then* putting it on hold. I do this relatively easily by selecting the item, hitting command-[ to "outdent" it, which makes it a project.

An option to do this for me would be much better, because it's not really a "project" in the DA/GTD sense (well... this one probably is, eventually, but I digress).

At some point, I'll write an Applescript to take any selected items, turn them into projects, and put that project on hold.

But that project is itself on hold right now....