View Single Post
Hello all,
I've been a lurker for some time, and a user for over a year now. I was semi-dependent on tags in Things, but migrated to OF anyway. I don't want to start another thread about requesting tags, merely looking for suggestions to accomplish my workflow goals within the current confines of what's available in OF. I like many features of OF, and opt to use it daily over things for a variety of reasons, but this one missing piece I'm too stupid to figure out on my own despite many trials and much research.

I support a small team of 5 sales folks, and two engineers. We also have a number of back office individuals that help us as well. Each rep will have 20 or so partners, and each partner will have roughly 5-25 accounts.

My issue is that I will have a number of discussion items come up when a phone call comes in, but I don't always know when that phone call will arrive or from whom.

For example, Brad the sales rep is working with partner X on the Acme account. There might be one engineer, brad, a service delivery person and project manager assigned to acme. When one engineer calls me, I want to be able to filter all 'waiting for' items specific to that engineer...which would be great if my original context was "Waiting For: Engineer." However, that conversation could encompass work on Acme, and 4 other 'Acme's.'

But, if I'm talking to Brad, or the project manager first, I might want to discuss Acme and 3 other 'Acme's that they're working on.

With tags, I would just click Brad, and every Acme type project would pop up that he's working on.

In OF, I'll set the main context: "Waiting for" the the sub-context: "Customer" because at the time the next action item was originally "Waiting for the Customer." But, Brad (or engineer or PM) may call me first as the customer reached out to them with a new item to work on.

So far, the only way I've been able to handle this, is by 'tagging' Acme in the notes section with the 4-5 people assigned to it. That way, when someone calls me, I go to my projects active perspective, and type in the search bar for the person that called so I can 1. Talk about Acme 2. Talk about any other items they may be tagged on to see if there's an update there as well.

Our engineers are often very busy with many billable projects, so if they have an issue, they'll call me directly and want to reference their specific problem. But, while I have them on the phone and they're free...I'd like to cover other potential open items they may have insight into, but isn't top of mind for them.

I feel like this is inefficient, and I'm missing something...but I can't put my finger on a solution.

Does this make sense?