View Single Post
While this was supposedly fixed in, if memory serves, 5.5.2 b2, there are still problems with Weblocs in OW 5.5.2 b3:

1. "Old" Weblocs, i.e. Weblocs created prior to OW 5.5, still do not open in OW if double-clicked. If I create a new Webloc by the method discussed in my first post above using OW 5.5.2 b3, it opens in OW 5.5.2 b3 as expected. However, Weblocs that I had created prior to OW 5.5. do not open in OW. These still open in the latest version of Safari.

2. Weblocs created in the latest version of Safari (by the same dragging method) do not open in OW if double-clicked, despite OW being the default browser and the Open With app being OW 5.5.2 b3 for these Weblocs.

3. The format of Weblocs created by OW 5.5.2 b3 and Safari are completely different. This seems to be the root cause of the problem:

- Weblocs created by OW open in TextEdit and show an XML structure.

- Weblocs created by Safari are blank in TextEdit, but reveal their contents in HexEdit.

- Weblocs created by Safari and OW show completely different internal formats when examined in HexEdit.

- "Old" Weblocs created from OW prior to 5.5 show the same internal format as current Safari Weblocs.

For some reason, OW developers changed the format of Weblocs created from OW — by the methods I originally outlined — from the same format used by Safari to some OW-specific format. The new OW format opens in Safari, either by dragging and dropping them on a Safari window, or using Open With... However, Weblocs in the Safari format — which was also the format from OW prior to 5.5 — do not open in OW if double-clicked.

It would seem to me that the format of Weblocs should be consistent across browsers, hence OW 5.5.2 b3+ could open Weblocs created in Safari and vice-versa.

Last edited by Dr. Smoke; 2006-12-17 at 02:22 PM..