View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
How do you handle getting info from a web site?
I would follow a workflow that's very similar to using a PIM:
  1. If I'm only interested in a selection of text, I'd use a system service provided by BBEdit to open a new text window with the current selection, which I can then save as a file. I'm not sure if TextEdit offers a similar feature, but TextWrangler is basically a free, lite version of BBEdit.

It's also very easy to create system services with Automator in Snow Leopard, so you could probably make your own for your editor of choice.

Another option is to drag selected text to the Dock icon of your favorite editor to open it in a new window, then save it as a file.

Yet another option is to use your favorite app launcher, like LaunchBar, to grab selected text and send it to an editor of your choice.

2. For saving entire pages, I'd typically print to PDF for cross-platform compatibility and Preview's annotation capabilities. I often use the Readability browser bookmarklet to get a nice printing view for sites that don't provide their own.

In Snow Leopard, Quick Look finally works on web archives, so I've started using those more often as well.

3. If I'm only interested in the address of the site, I'd just save it as a bookmark in Safari.

Having said all that, I must admit that I still have a soft spot in my heart for the simplicity and elegance of Yojimbo (which I've used on and off since its initial release in 2006). In fact, after Curt mentioned Shawn Blanc's review of Yojimbo 2, I read the blog post again and it convinced me to try the app once more. About a week later I upgraded my Yojimbo license to version 2, and so far, I've been very happy with it.

My immediate observations on Yojimbo 2 (which may or may not hold true for other PIM apps) are:
  1. Generous tagging of my data, coupled with the new Tag Explorer in Yojimbo 2, is revealing interesting connections between items that I might not have found in my old file system method.

2. Other than tagging, there's not much that I do in Yojimbo that I couldn't also do with my old file system methodology. But as John Gruber has pointed out, Yojimbo is all about reducing friction, and in that respect, the app is very good.

3. Shawn Blanc points out that he'd been frustrated with Yojimbo in the past because he tried to use it as a Finder replacement. I think I've had the same problem. Blanc writes, "This is not the same as your tried and true System for saving and finding things. The System is for everything. Your Anything Bucket, however, is for everything else. And you need both."

So I have no plans to completely abandon my "tried and true System for saving and finding things" that I've described elsewhere in this thread, but rather to supplement it with Yojimbo. We'll see how things go in the coming months. :)

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-11-12 at 03:38 PM..