View Single Post
Toadling,

Thanks for the reply!

Reading about your process and system has been very helpful to me.
I have been using Evernote for almost two years now, but found recently that I wasn't using it much. I started to consider why and realized there was too much "friction" to using it; apps were slow on whatever platform I used and that made creating a new note a chore.

I've exported everything from Evernote to Yojimbo and that was an awful experience since Evernote has its own database and entry formatting. I won't be touching Evernote again. I had a script to export the data from Evernote to Yojimbo that helped immensely but still took me a good 12-16 hours of effort to complete as I had 1.6 GB of data and close to 3,000 entries in Evernote.

I've started filing items using folders in Finder and I'm really liking it so far. I've used folders before, but I haven't used them intelligently. In the past they would become just another place to dump files for me to look at sometime. Part of the process is definitely using it and going back and "pruning" everything to the way I like it. Right now I'm working to reduce places where files can accumulate and gather dust.

That's one of the attractions to Yojimbo is that I enjoy using the app, it is quick and has a few powerful features, more of a laser focus if you will. So, I have to say I, as well, have a soft-spot for Yojimbo right now. I just have to keep that in check as I seem to have a soft-spot for all PIM apps.

I'm wanting to simplify my system so that I will use it more as the more work it requires will work against me using the system (AKA more "friction"). Right now I have a gut feeling that Yojimbo could serve a great purpose and help me use my system more, I just don't know exactly how it should fit in with everything else. It's like having a gear you know is important to the machine, but not knowing where it needs to go.

I've got some ideas on how things should fit together and I'm working those out as I use the tools. The systems engineer in me is screaming to create an OmniGraffle document showing the process. :) I'll have to draft that up soon...

Thanks again Toadling for describing your process, I have found it very helpful. Anything else you want to offer about your system and process would, I'm sure, be helpful as well. :)