View Single Post
Yes, you can do this. There are a few sticking points, however, that make it not as convenient as one might like.

Getting the date into the project name will require some sort of assist. Some sort of script to fix them up, or maybe just doing it by hand every time.

The stickier bit is the repeating without previous project being completed, as OmniFocus triggers the repeat off the previous item being marked completed, which will never have happened here because your project is longer in duration than the time until the next one starts.

Here's my approach. Download and install Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders script. Build up a template project for your repeating project. Don't bother trying to set up repeating at all. You'll simply put in a handful of them at a time, and in the last one you set up, you'll add an action to put in the next bunch. With my example, setting up another one is a simple matter of selecting the template project, a click to run the script, and entering two dates. Curt's script does the rest, and as you'll set a start date in the template (which the script will adjust), you won't see the future ones most of the time.

A note or two on my example:

I set my templates to be dropped so they don't show up in my usual views.

It wasn't entirely clear to me if you wanted hard start dates on the later actions (to make sure letter #2 went out exactly 10 days after letter #1, and no sooner). If you put dates in your template with Curt's script, the populated versions will have dates set to be the same dates relative to the start and/or due dates. I entered the dates in the templates as +10d, +20d, etc. but they show up as 10 and 20 days from the date that I created the template.

So, if you do something like this, it won't be automatic, but neither should it be too onerous to set up. The following week's campaign will start whether or not you've completed the previous one. You get the date in the project name without doing any additional work. Curt's script will allow templates with multiple input parameters (this example only has one), so you can do fairly elaborate constructs. Thanks, Curt!