View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, yes, that's one of the basic notions of David Allen's Getting Things Done system, and OmniFocus is certainly intended to be easy to use for GTD.

It seems to me that what you want to do could probably be done with Brian's Applescript for taking an action and adding it to iCal as an event (not a task). Make a new calendar in iCal for your lists, and as you plot out your week, send tasks over to iCal to populate the list.
I agree that being able to find appropriate next Actions according to the current Context is an important part of GTD, and nicely performed with OmniFocus. I'm simply suggesting that there is another, equally important goal for the system (in my view, at any rate) of making decisions about when certain Contexts should happen.

Where I need help is in planning (in my case this is, essentially, a weekly proposition) when the work will get done.

It would be great if I could 'lay out' my week's work (with some sort of calendar in front of me) to plan the workload (can't do more than 24 hours of work in one day, usually), AND with an eye toward Contexts (need to be in New York for these 3 action items (from different projects), and one won't be available until Thursday - so should plan to be in New York on Thursday or Friday).

I'll take a look at the Applescript you mentioned (Thank You for the suggestion), but I suspect it will work better as a "presentation of what I decided" than a "planning tool" - if you see what I mean. I would like to see a tool that helps me make the decisions of when to do what - and would prefer the result to be a "Daily Planner" page for each day of the week where Tasks are segregated from Appointments. In iCal this is done by showing Appointments on the left half of the page (with a time scale) and Tasks are shown on the right half of the page (with no time scale) - so the calendar is kept "pure" (something that appeals to some compulsions in me).