View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsuits View Post

As soon as I looked at the screens, I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what ... look forward to some changes to colors that will guide our eyes where they need to be...on our tasks and projects
Quote:
Originally Posted by =rvhernandez View Post

it's too harsh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post

I don't like the black background and the fact that data is presented to the user in overly-large coloured blocks. I still think it makes my iPad look like a Fisher-Price toy.
Well, it's a first draft, and there is some good work in the icons - cleaner and less distracting than the desktop ones.

But the eye does certainly have to contend with quite a proliferation of redundant lines of strong visual contrast ... Coolsuits puts it well - the user's eyes are being misguided ...

In any design the loudest contrasts (the strongest visual stimuli) should draw attention to the key elements of the message.

In this design, (and are are some pretty loud contrasts here), the main contrasting edges actually distract attention away from the user's data ...

It feels a little uncomfortable to read a bubble in the marketing gallery (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus-ipad) promising that we can "concentrate on work", while the visual design is shouting quite urgently at our retina to concentrate on the horizontal rungs of an interesting black ladder that has been left on the screen by a builder ... (the user's working text is pushed quite far into the visual background)

And on another screen, the system of contrasts appeals insistently to our eyes to focus not on the details of a simple textual outline, but on an unusual set of dark grey stacking tables ... (or horizontal stalactites, perhaps ?)

Concentrate on work ? Well, that would be good, but this first (and certainly promising) design is drawing more attention to the artwork than to the user's work ...

To reduce the cognitive distraction, and let the user focus on their work, I would suggest quite simply:
  1. Eliminate contrasting edges wherever you can, and
  2. tone the remaining contrasts down ...

--