View Single Post
Camino is my usual "fallback browser" -- i.e. my "OmniWeb just crashed and I had a huge workspace open and I don't feel like restoring it" browser. But whenever that happens, it almost always ends up becoming my default browser, at least for a while. Simply because I'm always struck by its lighting-quick responsiveness. The speed of OmniWeb has improved a lot in the 5.6 sneakypeeks compared to 5.5, but compared to Camino, it still feels downright sluggish.

That said, there really aren't any features (or very few, at least) from Camino that I miss when using OmniWeb. It's really just the speed that's holding me back. For any OS X early adopters, think of what the OS felt like in March 2001 compared to that day's Mac OS 9. Sure, OS 9 didn't have nearly as many features and was decidedly less "modern", but it got the job done, and goddamn, it was fast -- something OS X 10.0 definitely could not claim. Know what I mean?

I'm just wondering if we'll ever see that same level of responsiveness in OmniWeb. Is it so much to ask that command-clicking on a link not take half a second before the new tab is open and the page is loading? (I know, OmniWeb only gets to that point if you have a whole lot of windows and tabs open, but still -- I'm posting this from Camino, and I have seven windows open, each with dozens of tabs, and it's just as snappy as ever.)