View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdesigner View Post
(Example: I just reorganized my contexts to more accurately reflect my working style - http://simplicityisbliss.com/2011/06...e-on-contexts/ - a big help).
I like your contexts. Very nicely done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdesigner View Post
So, I'm looking for some serious advice on achieving the balance between using deadlines in OF and not over abusing the start/due date function. Part in parcel with this, I think, is some more work on reviewing. Maybe using the weekly review to manage start/due dates.
Doing a review is a good habit to cultivate.

For my daily review, I ask myself at each case whether anything new is to be added to or taken away from a given project based on the current state of affairs. After this review, I do a "morning start" and flag tasks that I will tackle. I repeat this process re-flagging process when the action items are done (or nearly so).

For my weekly review, I compare my OF set up against a Kanban-type tracking board and reset my board for the coming week.

So, with this in mind, I might suggest that you try for a period to a) avoid setting any start or due dates on a task unless an external force absolutely demands it, b) use flags to define what task(s) are to receive your top attention for a given period, and c) define and maintain a habit of doing a once daily and once weekly review. As needed, perhaps go in to this all one step at a time. First, master the art of doing a good weekly review. Then include daily reviews and/or consider or play around with using flags. Eventually move to where you stop setting start / due dates capriciously because you have found other ways to bring forward what is to be considered.

HTH

--
JJW