View Single Post
My experience in a similar line was that having multiple projects was eventually easier to manage than having one project with multiple tasks. The sense of accomplishment I had when checking off a project as completed was a big push for this. Also, muliple projects break down easier for my Kanban-style board and review to help push a project forward through. The Mega-Project with sub-Groups kept me a bit confused about the sense of each sub-Group ... I kept wanting to add or subtract other sub-Groups in the Mega-Project for whatever reason. That was the overwhelming for me.

As one thought ... do you know how to create a "Project X" template that contains all nominal tasks? When you need to start a new writing project, duplicate the template and rename its title. This way, you are not making sets of tasks in a new project in a step-by-step fashion, rather, they are all set up for you in one step. Would this help some of the tedium in creating a project?

Also, are these writing tasks part of a larger project, or are they self-contained projects? In either case, do they repeat themselves, much like routine reports? Again, this might help redefine the organization you create.

Finally, are you aware of how to use start dates to hide projects or tasks until a certain point in time? For example, if you cannot start Project C until after Project B is completely done, then set the start date on Project C for some time after you know that Project B will certainly be done. Would this help reduce some of the clutter in viewing your task lists?

In essence then ... OF really does not have a happy medium between the two extremes that you mention. Using start dates and contexts and perspectives in either case is the way that you have to work this.

Hope this helps you find some clarity.

--
JJW