View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoad View Post
I’m not a great GTD adept, but the confusion seems to arise there rather than in OF itself.
Your description of GTD makes me think you don't get it - which isn't unusual; it took me a long time. GTD really is just a to-do list. The genius of David Allen's approach lies in the way he deviates from traditional to-do lists:

1) Even "simple stuff" (your phrase) needs to be looked at to see whether it will take more than one physical action.

2) All projects and next actions need to be written down to get them out of the head and free up the mind for better purposes.

3) Context can be useful as a way of listing what you can do depending on your physical location or the tool at hand. To take your examples, "phone" can be a context, "urgent" can't.

4) A weekly review is crucial to create new next actions for projects.

5) If you can't commit to something, renegotiate; don't keep it on an active list - you'll get numb to it and to your entire system.

There are many other components, of course, but these are the ones that really resonated with me once I groked them.

Anyone is free to disagree with GTD or to modify it for their own use - for example I find schedules & rules very useful, and so I add them on. But don't ask for Gant charts. Don't blame the developers for adapting GTD terminology. Don't blame users if they create contexts that aren't really contexts (maybe it works for them). Reread GTD if you want to get what's going on.

Last edited by Usable Thought; 2007-11-24 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Someone else jumped in before me