View Single Post
I appreciate the discipline with which Omni has stuck to the single user model. Too few people understand what Steve Jobs expressed: It's not just the thing you do that makes you successful, it's the 1000 things you choose not to do.

That said: Yer killin' me here. OF is the ONLY task manager I've ever really adapted and used, because of ease of task entry, and geo-location of task recall. Those are the things you do so well.

But I want to use it for my business and personal life, and since I can't, I actually have fallen out of the habit of using it. The best tool I've ever found for this, and you're driving me away from it into far inferior products that let me selectively share project tasks.

Let me be clear: OF is ALREADY a multi-user product, because that's it's best use, whether Omni wants to recognize it or not. It's just a painfully hobbled one.

Here's a scenario I used to use constantly: My wife and I have OF on our Macs & iPhones. I'm working at my Mac. My wife is out running errands. I realize that I need to get x. Shortcut key, type x, tab, type context, tab, type "today", return.

When my wife arrives in the area that x is sold, and checks her OF list, x is there, noted as due today. She picks it up and my whole problem was solved in a handful of keystrokes at the moment I remembered I needed something.

Elegant, simple, a thing of beauty. It changed my life. (And yes, it works the other way around, do tasks for my wife when I'm out based on OF.)

My business partner uses OF for all his stuff, and used to be religious about it.

But the frustration that I can't share tasks with him, without exposing him to the hundreds of items in my personal projects, has driven us both to use other products, losing our OF habits.

I think the frustration is enhanced by looking at all the time that went into features for iPad that are aimed at people who don't mind spending as much time managing their lists as getting things done*, and the fact that every modern product under the sun is moving to cloud based sharing models. We're using a cloud-shared task app that looks like the whole company's net worth is probably less than the cost of adding sharing to OF.

Sorry for the vent, it's just that I so WANT to have OF integrated into my life like it used to be, and while I agree that discipline and focus is critical in product design, I think you've decided not to do 1001 things - one too many.

Allen

*Yes, I realize that's an unjust troll, and may not really be true, but it's true for me. I'll cede to any countervailing perspectives on this, since I would hate to be the source of a needless debate about it.