View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
Hmm. If it is less than half as good as the $99 standard mac version, why would you even buy it? But if it is half as good, why not pay half the price? :)
Why? A whole bunch of reasons.
  1. If you're old enough to have bought vinyl albums, and 8-tracks, and cassettes, and CD's, and now MP3's, you get tired of paying list price for the same thing over and over again.
  2. An iPad is *not* your primary computer. It's an accessory. It's handy, but you can only do so much on it. It's designed in such a way that you need to sync it to a primary computer (on which you've already paid for OmniGraffle).
  3. While Version 1.0 certainly costs OmniGroup a fair amount of time & money investment, future versions of all their apps will clearly be designed with phones, iPads, and Macs in mind. The code base will surely have more shared code. I'm not saying it will be trivial, but certainly the cost of producing the next version of OmniGraffle for Mac/phone/iPad will be much less than version 1.0 because they will be designing for all 3 at once.

Sure, I don't think OmniGraffle for iPad should be free. That's crazy! They have to make some money on it, of course.

But as long as iPads are accessories to your main computer, you need to price the software as an accessory to the main product.

I can't speak for others, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's significantly more expensive than Pages, Keynote, Numbers (or Bento), then I won't buy it.

Last edited by Púca; 2010-03-30 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typo