View Single Post
Yeah, that's not possible, unfortunately. You can switch methods if you make sure you sync everything before and after doing so, but it isn't exactly convenient. Submit your feature request with Help->Send Feedback if you'd like this, but I wouldn't hold my breath that you'll see it implemented soon.

I've got a very large database (around 4.4 MB) which takes roughly a minute to write out to the MobileMe server when doing a database compaction (the worst case scenario, usually you are just writing a handful of small files of a few KB each to reflect recent changes made). Usually the only clue that anything is going on is the spinning wheel in the sync button, as the program continues to operate normally while syncing. It works well enough that switching around just isn't worth the effort (especially as screwing up risks losing changes). Bonjour (often coupled with an ad-hoc WiFi network) can be a lifesaver if you've got an old iPhone or marginal reception, or a machine you can't connect to a corporate network, or don't want your data on someone else's server, but none of those situations appear to apply to you. Unless you are seeing big differences in performance that impact your productivity, just take the easy way out and use MobileMe all the time :-)