View Single Post
OW's tabs are definitely better than most browsers' tabs--especially in the area of management--but that doesn't mean they couldn't be improved. And one problem is that the thumbnails are small enough that you can't differentiate between similar pages. For example, if I open several product pages at a shopping site, or several articles at a news site, the pages will typically look exactly the same except for some text content and maybe a different picture (but often in the same spot). Shrink the pages down by 98%-99% (as required to fit on my 12" PB's screen and still allow enough screen width to browse--and yes, I just did the math so that ratio is accurate), and "differentiation" leaves your vocabulary. And more often than not, the titles are even more useless, since you can only see the first part.

In fact, right now, I have a few different OG forum pages pulled up. The thumbnails all look virtually identical, so I can't tell them apart visually, and the title text underneath every thumbnail is "Omni Group F...", which is also useless for navigation. How do I tell them apart? By looking at each of them in succession. Right now, that means either clicking on each of them or using the keyboard to move through them - but either way, it's an action repeated for each one, and that makes it tedious. To be able to simply drag the mouse over the tabs (preferably with a modifier held down) and rapidly see the content of all the tabs would let me find the one I want that much quicker.

Hmm, even better would be a modifier-activated mode where you could simply mouse-over a tab to see its contents full-size. That way, you wouldn't have to hold down the mouse button. All of this assumes, of course, that OW could handle the display changes as quickly as they appeared to be handled in the iRider video; if it were too slow, the tedium would immediately return.