View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingtractor
There's no reason why a pane can't be shut to get it out of the way when it's not in use. Try pressing Shift , Apple and M in Mail.
I'll have to take your word for it ... I tried to open Mail to see the effect but Mail will not run at all on my MacBook Pro ... I get the SPOD the moment I try to do anything and have to force quit. I don't know why that's happened, but as I don't use Mail, it's not something that I'm going to try to solve.

On the other hand, closing a vertical pane forces a redraw of the other panes because of the change of form factor ... as happens in Opera, for instance, if you open/close the history pane. I prefer the fact that a drawer just retracts without affecting the main window at all.

I too am basically in favour of options, but excessive options, as has been said many times ends up degrading the user-experience, and I can imagine that programming an option for a visual difference as major as drawers vs panes would be far from easy and take an immense amount of time and effort.

But as JKT says, Apple may well take the option away in any case.

Mark