View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
Has anyone developed a workable solution for creating an action item that relates to a specific email message using OF on the iPad? What is the current best practice?

I have GoodReader, Instapaper and Evernote available if needed.
Hi Arrow,

Late last year (!) I made some headway with the developer of a mail App about using the Send to OmniFocus code to provide a link in OF to an email. We even got around to discussing how to implement this in a way that would be helpful to those who also use OF on the desktop.

I got as far as suggesting that you would hit StOF from his mail App and it would place a copy of the email into OF as an attachment (when OF finally gets Document Interchange) whilst also maintaining a live link to the source email in the Notes field. The StOF would also have an interrupt so you would be able to specify the Action title and any additional Note info from within the mail App (if that doesn't make sense, see the attached pic, although this example is actually for an entirely different App).

The live link initially proved problematic because the linked email could eventually get knocked off your iDevice inbox by subsequent incoming emails. He suggested solving this by having a copy of any email that had used StOF stored locally in his App within an OmniFocus email folder. I thought this a great idea as it would mean you could immediately see emails with Actions. I also discussed with him the possibility of syncing to this folder from the desktop via MobileMe, Dropbox, etc.

However, at the same time I was talking to several other developers about how I envisaged StOF working with their Apps (an RSS reader, a mind-mapping App, etc.) but after receiving some feedback and discussing this with Omni, I decided to pull the plug on my requesting developers to incorporate StOF as I honestly don't feel that Omni are offering enough encouragement to developers willing to undertake the effort of incorporating StOF into their Apps.

If you want to pick up where I left off (how's your Japanese?!) PM me and I'll get back in touch with the developer and ask if he's still willing to implement StOF into his mail App with the help of a new playmate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NotifyOF3.png
Views:	602
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1711  

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2011-01-02 at 02:21 AM..