Thread: Tickler Date
View Single Post
I'm just thinking outloud here and would love to hear feedback.

I am currently using start dates for tasks I'm not ready to get to yet. For example, if I want to buy a book but don't want to get it just yet because I'm in the middle of two other books, I will set the start date for two weeks from today. Two weeks later I get reminded that I wanted to buy that book.

I was wondering what thoughts would be on an option for a tickler date. My vision is to set the tickler date between the start and due dates, and have the task pop up as active, but with a different badge to indicate it's just a reminder of the tasks availability. You can then set the task to be active, or deferred for a set amount of time.

For example, I set the task "buy GTD by David Allen" to start today, tickle in 7 days, and due by the end of Dec. At this point, the task is shown as active in the proper project and context. Using the inspector, or a switch like the flag switch, will allow me to defer it to the determined tickle time. At this point the task is active but somehow distinguished as deferred. View options can hide deferred tasks, or list only deferred tasks.

7 Days later the deferred task will change color to call your attention to the fact that a decision has to be made, to either activate the task or defer it once again.

What do you think?