View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
if one were serious about writing a GTD webapp that did what OF does, reverse engineering the XML from Omnigroup yourself would only be a small fraction of your total effort.

I think if someone was serious about this, and put in real time with some real results, the Omni-dudes would answer questions you still had about XML structure, client IDs, what have you.

But until such time, I don't see why they would spend the time needed to document a non-open spec that they continue to modify to improve their product.

-P
Perhaps there's a mismatch of expectations. I am not suggesting someone write a web application (yeah, I hijacked the thread, perhaps a moderator will move it somewhere else, if appropriate). That would be a lot of work, and we've already got one effort stalled, and that had the advantage of contributed source!

Generally I think that the ability to send/receive information from the application is important, and the interface with the desktop version isn't what I have in mind. Even with the desktop application, there's quite a few things I, and probably others, would like to see done that would not be satisfied by that architecture (having your Mac running somewhere modifying the .ofocus file on a remote disk).

I think the problem was summed up nicely in the last sentence: "a non-open spec" -- I'd like to see an open way of getting information into and out of OmniFocus iPhone. With an accessible, documented API and a data file sitting on a WebDav drive somewhere, there are a lot of cool things that could be done with interesting little scripts and programs to make GTD on the iPhone simpler and more functional

Regards,

- Steve