View Single Post
I think we got going in the wrong direction in this discussion. I am not advocating a priority column (high, medium, low, etc). These are nearly useless, and take too much time to manage changing priorities. The inherent order of a list implies priority, and this is what OF gets right. My problem is:

1. The list order to organize priority breaks-down if you have many projects, unless there is a column view, which puts different projects side-by-side, and allows implied ordering of different projects to be independent of one another. (this is how I did things before OF, I had my lists in excel with a column per top level project)

2. Someway to apply a "what needs attention today/this week" Filter, BEFORE focusing on contexts. I think the context only doesn't work well for many people. If I worked for a large corporation and had 1 major project every 9 months, together with my daily household tasks, phone calls, etc. context-only focus would work well.

But My life is not so simple, I have 15 open projects at any one time, each with 50-100 tasks, with schedules for each being moved around my me, my clients, and external issues on a regular basis. I have hundreds of tasks in OF. Focusing on the "phone call" context is not useful, because there are 100 phone calls that need to be made. First you need to filter what are the important ones first. I do this by daily planning: "what do I want to get done". By crossing off of my daily list, is also how I can see I'm accomplishing things. If I'm looking at just the master list, or a context , I'm just overwhelmed. Also, by nature the master list will always grow faster than I can cross things off.

What I'd like to do is start my day, select what I'd like to accomplish from my OF master list, to create a daily digest focus - which would be my goals for the day. As I work off of my daily list, I can then filter by context. It keeps things manageable.