View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
If a project has 5 actions, sequencial by default : why can I put a date on the project ? Shouldn't that be a field to be taken from the actions?
One benefit of the current approach: OmniFocus looks at an action and all of its parent rows when deciding what status to apply, using the earliest date it can find. With this system, even if I screw up and put a late deadline on one of the actions in the project, the due date on the project is still going to kick in and enforce something resembling the one I actually wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
If I have a sequencial project : wouldn't it be nice if after the first action (and once you set up start / due dates for that action) the next action forces you to have a start date AT LEAST after the due date of the first action ?
Well, this is one of the four different types of dependencies that OmniPlan supports. We do want to add in some more guardrails that protect folks from the mistakes that the current setup allows, but I don't think forcing them to only use Finish-to-Start dependencies would go over very well. :-)

(For folks that don't use OmniPlan, the other dependencies are Start-Start, Finish-Finish, and Start-Finish; first task must do X before second task can do Y)

I guess "sequential" is really sort of an oversimplification here. "Not parallel" doesn't seem like a good choice, and given that some folks already think OmniFocus is too complicated, I don't know if we want to add a fourth type of project. :-)