View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrison View Post
"Cite while you write" sounds like a good idea, but its implementation is actually problematic for several reasons, including 1) the in-text citations substantially slow Word's scrolling, 2) in-text citations can do unpredictable things when documents are shared, and 3) when numbered citation styles are used, in-text citations aren't particularly informative at first glance.
I agree, the Cite while you write has room for improvements. In text citations do slow Word scrolling for documents that contain over 50-100 references, but this can be overcome by working from separate documents and then combining them for the final version. The traveling library attached to the documents is supposed to allow collaborators to reformat the document as they please. I haven't done much sharing of documents so far, but I imagine that problems could arise although I have yet to test this out. And I agree, numbered citations are not informative when assembling a manuscript. Fortunately, you are not restricted to numbered citations when using CWYW...you're free to use any format you want such as Author, Date, which I prefer to use.

The only disadvantage to CWYW that I see now is the lag with large documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrison View Post
As an alternative, BibDesk is a very nice open source reference manager that was orginally developed for LaTeX/BibTeX applications, but is actually capabile of EndNote-like functionality. I've written a set of Applescripts for BibDesk called CiteInPages (http://jhh.med.virginia.edu/main/CiteInPages/) that support insertion working citations into Pages (v. 3) documents, and replacement of the working citations with numbered or author-date in-text citations and generation of appropriately-formatted bibliographies. The working citations are BibDesk cite keys, which can have a form similar to author-date citations and are thus directly informative. They are also completely expressed as text and don't cause scrolling slowdowns or "mutate" on sharing. The Applescripts are available under a BSD license and contain commented code required to process numbered or author-date citations. Someone familiar with Applescript wouldn't have much trouble adapting them for OmniOutliner.
Endnote has other great features such as searching online databases, easily importing references, and it automates citation formats. I'd be interested to know if Bibdesk has these features too. I'd also be interested to know if you make a document from Pages and format it with Bibdesk as you suggest, can you share this document with others who likely use Word and Endnote.