View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
I'm not sure I really get your logic there... If Omni decided to add a feature such as metatags, which it seems quite a few people (myself included) would like to see, then why would the addition of such a feature "push you away" from OF?

I'm quite sure that they wouldn't be forcing you to use it any more than you are forced to use perspectives or flags in the existing version so from your perspective nothing would change so it comes across a little odd that you'd take such a negative stance about it.
It seems unlikely to me that a tag feature could be put in without some changes to the existing UI if it is going to be well-integrated, agreed? Once you start changing the UI to accommodate the new functionality, whether you use it or not, there's potential to dislike the new additions. There's also the opportunity cost of all that work (not so great, perhaps, if done as part of an overall UI rewrite, but probably not insignificant if done as a standalone change). Perspectives and flags have always been present in released versions, so they don't make quite so compelling an example, in my opinion.

Personally, I'm not too worried that there's going to be a vast effort by the unwashed to stuff the Omni ballot box, or that Omni is going to start pandering to the masses if the expressed desires of the masses conflict with their vision of what they should be building. I don't see evidence that anyone there is just after a quick buck, or content with a quick hack. If they were, they'd still be milking OmniWeb, OmniDazzle, and OmniDiskSweeper, we would have seen OmniOutliner 4 with some sort of crude cloning hack long ago, and there'd be some unsatisfying tag field in OmniFocus already, possibly with some lame "realistic" graphics. One can disagree with individual decisions they make, certainly, but overall, I think they are trying to do right by us and build us a superior product usable both by newcomers and demanding power users.