View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
I don't think I understand your example. Contexts in the GtD sense are particular places or tools that are preconditions for working on a task.
I am not familiar with GTD, but I do have a concept of what's important for me to be able to keep my head wrapped around all the things that are important to me in my life. If you superimpose this idea on the contexts concept that GTD apparently has, which seems to be more pragmatic from your description, then that's where I'm coming from.

Here's an example. If I need to buy a gift for my friend's birthday, then the contexts would be "Personal" (because my personal relationships are an important aspect of my life), "Shopping" (more of a standard to-do type of GTD context category I guess), and "Finances" (because I would like to see a slice through all the items that are going to have an impact on my bank account). These categories don't have a hierarchical relationship with each other.

It's kind of like keywords or tags I guess, but with an application like OmniFocus I am hoping that visualization of tasks with respect to tags (contexts) is more explicit than it is with things like del.icio.us, where items are highlighted and the tags are listed in a subordinate way. One function of OmniFocus seems to be to view the contexts with the tasks subordinate (which is why I am drawn to it). As I alluded to in my last post, I guess the challenge with non-hierarchical contexts would be to find some way to execute this view so that tasks aren't duplicated on the page (or if they are, that there is some intuitive way to realize they are duplicates).